>  But as I said before, I don't currently consider OSM accounts to be a
>  valuable asset. I have many of them and should one be compromised then
>  I'll create another. Any account created anonymously from the web page

They are not very valuable, but once someone start vandalising "in
your name", they will blame you...

Also there is some stuff tied to your account (list of friends, diary
entries, uploaded GPX traces - I don't use these, but some people do
.... then there are settings, watched OSM elements ....)
And that stuff can be somewhat valuable for some people.

>  has the same privileges as my account so why should a hacker bother to
>  hijack my account when he can just sign up for one? Thus I think the

All email accounts on gmail, for example, have same privileges, yet
people value their personal email accounts quite highly.

OSM accounts are usually not that valuable as emails, but their value
is far from zero for some people.

Martin