ste...@binaervarianz.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planing to do a longer holiday abroad and will take my GPS and
> openstreetmap with me.
>
> I will probably find a lot of new things to map, but I won't have an
> internet connection at hand.
> Does anybody have some advice on how to keep track of things to add?
>
> I normally add points with notes directly on my GPS (eTrex), but that's
> very time consuming, I can't do it while driving
> and I only can add very short notes. I usually get frustrated with the
> on-screen keyboard within 1 or 2 days and subsequently stop taking
> notes.
>
> Only mark numbered points would be faster and easier, but I would have to
> keep notes on another medium (paper notebook, netbook).
> Merging these two data heaps will be time consuming afterwards.

Why don't you do photo mapping [1]? You will still have to "merge" the
information into osm but photos (with lat/lon in exif data) are quite
easy to integrate into josm. As long as you have enough memory cards or
disk space with you, you can map everything* very fast ;)

best regards

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Photo_mapping
* streets, foot-/cycleways, POIs, house numbers, power lines, trees,
gullies, skyhooks, wormholes, black holes (are you going somewhere near
CERN? take care of them), ...