Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> I'm cringing at the thought of trying loading a large extract into
> JOSM and expecting it to be able to work quite happily. I would never
> want to try and work with large areas in JOSM at any time in a desktop
> or laptop with 4GB of RAM, never mind on a netbook.

You are right. loading the whole region into JOSM will probably toast my
poor netbook.
Maybe I can download the .osm file, split it with mkgmaps splitter tool
into managable chunks
and load only whats needed.

I would then make my edits in a seperate layer (coping nodes and ways from
the osm layer if I want to change keys)
and then try to merge this into an updated osm layer when I'm back home
with the aid of the conflict resolution tool from JOSM.

> What is the point
> of storing the osm data in a version control system?

Well I get the point.
You could tell the difference between orignal osm data and updates and
changes you made.
You could keep track of your changes and even extract just a subset of your
changes.
So at the end you don't have one massive layer with edits to incorporate
into osm, but a set of distinct changes made over time.

Of course code repository tools are not made for one large .osm file, so it
won't be very comfortable to use.

> If I was
> desperate I would download a small group of towns/villages before
> hand, and then use the update data when I'm online, especially just
> before uploading.

Well I will accumulate lots of kilometers. So pre-loading just a small area
won't work.
I need to know what's already mapped and what not. (Not everything mapped
in osm is displayed on my garmin).

Mike N. wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the part about the second camera.  I use the
> JOSM AgPifoJ plugin to effectively GeoLocate photos on a conventional
> digital camera based on timestamps.   You would only need to take a
picture
> of the GPS on occasion to synchronize the camera's timestamp to GPS time.

I've done picture mapping befor. I even try to geolocate my normal photos.
But my holiday pictures will be taken with a DSLR, which is a bit of
overkill for shooting
road signs. Additionally I don't want the pictures to mix, so I don't have
to sort them out afterwards.
I think I can find an old digital 2MP camera which will do the job.
(Well they will think I want to open an electronics store when they check
my baggage.)

regards,

Stefan