On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> No, but you should give a timeline for the screenshots, so that we can
>> clean the translations before. Currently about 100-200 German strings are
>> missing, most of them in prominent places.
>
> I guess I will have to explain that translations are on a best-effort
> basis and that English texts will pop up every now and then. The book

Only for latest. The tested version is 100% German always (due to many
authors and the admin being Germans :-). For other languages the
situation is not as good, but there are less users for these as well.

> will go to print end of Jan., but since making the screenshots is a lot
> of work (loading demo data and all) I want to have them finished
> mid-Jan. the latest. If the occasional English text remains, that's not
> too bad (if I find it extremely annoying I can still fix it myself).

Mid-January is fine, as this should also be the planned date for next
tested (althought as always we wont hold our timeline).

Most new texts are error messages (which wont bother you) and the new
changeset handling. I did an update today and we have 227 missing strings
(https://translations.launchpad.net/josm/trunk/+pots/josm/de/+translate?show=untranslated)

I will give the translations some more work the next days.

If you have special wishes tell them or add texts yourself. I will
increase update frequency Launchpad->SVN next time as I always do
prior to tested releases.

>> As AgPifoJ is now internal, the top plugins include openstreetbugs and
>> editgpx. But I would not drop livegps/surveyor, as this is an
>> interesting solution which should be shown.
>
> Is editgpx really used in the OSM context or is it more something that
> people use to manage their local GPX collection? Guess I'll have to
> install it, maybe it helps me in doctoring the GPX examples I need for
> the book ;-)

The problem is that I only have stats of installed plugins, no real usage
stats. But I find editgpx useful to remove the "scatter" around start and
stop of tracks. This also helps a bit to anonymize tracks (as for tracks
starting at my house it's easy to find who made them).

On the other hand I do not upload GPX tracks at all for a long time now,
so probably my opinion is not representative.

Ciao