Hi Karl,

> To the best of my knowlege there is no such function yet  ...

Now there is:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/WaySelectorPlugin

Thanks to your reply and the availability of WayDownloaderPlugin
source code, I got an easy start.

I posted some ideas for further development to the above wiki page,
but the plugin already scratches my itch (selecting the mainland coastline
in a large natural=coastline map extract).

> (3) you can listen to the current selection. See
> org.openstreetmap.josm.data.osm.event.SelectionEventManager

I might look at this later, to update the enabled/disabled state
of the plugin based on the current selection.

Best regards,

        Marko