Hi,

On 04/16/2011 04:19 AM, M?rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
Well, "test" is not recognized and unknown tags are info-level and not
displayed by default.

I see. Turned it on ;-)
Actually I think that displaying these info-level hints as Infos (and
not as errors like before) would be also useful by default. I don't
perceive it as "nannying the users".

I do.

In every talk I hold on OSM I tell folks that in OSM, they can enter any tag they want. I wouldn't want them to turn to JOSM, enter a tag and the first thing they get is a message that this is unknown!

Maybe we should have different sets of defaults. When someone fires up JOSM for the first time, they could be asked whether they want the newbie nannying set of defaults or not. I'm sure some people would want it as it gives them more security; other would prefer the less intrusive editor.

Bye
Frederik