Dirk,

On 12/18/2011 02:46 PM, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit over-sensitive ATM, but on one hand you blame me that
JOSM depends too much on the server information and on the other hand
you praise exactly these feature and would like to have them extended?

What I like is when this works in a peer-to-peer fashion. Someone posts on the mailing list "here's my cool new preset", reader clicks a button and loads it - from the author's server. No central server required.

What I don't like is when somebody who makes a new style has to upload the style to a central location or publish the link at a certain "official" location.

But I admit that this is a kind of romantic view because it assumes that everyone easily has a server available where they could publish their styles, and that information about available styles flows freely without the need for a central directory. Both are a tad unrealistic.

In my ideal world, there would be many competing styles - basically every power user would have "his" style, containing only the tags he always uses, and other people could then choose to go with that person's style.

What we currently have is users expecting there to be the "one true style" provided by the JOSM team.

And I wasn't even criticising you, I just said that what I would like to see seems to be different from what the users want.

Bye
Frederik