Hi,

On 01/10/12 16:11, Oliver Raupach wrote:
I mean, there's surely a reason for everything.

The main reason is that most of us are not Java developers by trade, but instead many of us are allround developers who happen to code Java among other things.

We also try to attract people from the general OSM hacker population to help out with JOSM, and we cannot count on these people to have state-of-the-art Java skills.

You will also find that reflected in the code, where more often than not, we prefer a simple implementation over one that you would be taught in a Java development course. We need to keep the learning curve down so even people who are not Java developers can write a plugin without first learning how to use the latest cool technologies or design patterns.

Having said that, if you truly believe that someone with knowledge of only Makefiles, and neither ant nor maven, will find it easier to understand maven than to understand ant, then maybe we should indeed switch.

I have my own ideas about the usefulness of continuous integration in a system with about 5 committers but I'll keep them to myself for now ;)

As for automated testing - we are an Open Source project and we can only make limited demands on the time of our contributors. If someone supplies tests - great. If they don't - we don't force a development methodology on our contributors.

Bye
Frederik