2012/7/11 Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>:
> Do you think it would be possible to run the validator after data has been
> downloaded and record the list of problems, and then when someone uploads,
> only check for *newly added* problems instead of everything?
>
> Of course the validator would still, on request, be able to check
> everything, but the automatic "hey, are you sure you want to upload this"
> check could be reduced to those problems this mapper is really responsible
> for, rather than listing everything that was wrong even before this mapper
> touched it.

If the user can highlight the validation errors that are directly
caused by the local modifications, this is certainly an improvement.

But I'm not so sure about the technical implementation. It doesn't
seem natural to me to validate the entire dataset on download and keep
the errors till some of theses objects are (maybe) uploaded. What if
the edits are saved to a .osm file and reloaded later?

I'd suggest an alternative: Remember the original version of each
primitive; on upload run 2 passes for the validator: one for the
(reconstructed) original dataset and one for the modified one.

This solution isn't necessarily easier to implement, but it solves
other problems as well: Currently, if you add a tag to a large number
of objects, and later remove that tag, JOSM still keeps the modified
flag for these objects, so they get uploaded and get a version bump,
although the properties remain unchanged. In addition it would be
useful to display the changes made to an object before upload (e.g.
for a large relation; much like "svn status"). The history GUI could
be reused for this.

This still requires an extension of the data file format used in JOSM,
but I think it's inevitable. There are a couple of other things that
need to be saved to file, e.g. object histories and edit conflicts.
The plain .osm format can be offered as export option instead.

Paul