> On Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Vincent Privat wrote:
>
>> We understand the problem but I don't know if keeping the old cache is
>> easy
>> nor feasible. Wiktor what do you think? Is the old code still there or
>> has
>> it been dropped during the switch ?
>
> Actually I DO NOT see the problem.
>
> Debian requires building from source which is true for most other
> distributions as well. That's fine.
>
> Debian does nowhere require that a software needs to be split into
> multiple pieces. That may have some advantages but also has a series of
> disadvantages. And if nobody has time to do it, then simply don't do it!

I wish it was that simple. While the Debian Policy does not explicitly
require splitting out embedded dependencies, it's a very common packaging
best practice.

Debian does recommend upstream developers to not include 3rd party code, see:

https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide#No_inclusion_of_third_party_code

While it's phrased mostly for C/C++ shared libraries, it applies to Java
projects just the same.

> JCS is now an integral part of JOSM. As it is also a library it could be
> provided by another package. But that's not required and also can be
> changed at any time in the future.
>
> Altogether I never understood the way Debian packages JOSM and from user
> side it's complicated, error prone and also wastes space on harddisk. To
> fulfill Debian guidelines building a jar from source would be perfectly
> fine like you build binaries for other tools.
>
> So Debian packages do a lot of actually unnecessary work and need constant
> adaption to changing source code. But that's the choice of package
> maintainers and no requirement.

This attitude makes me want to remove the josm package from Debian again.

Last time this caused a number of users of the josm package in Debian to
object, instead of pushing for the removal of the package I started to
co-maintain the package. That went surprisingly well until recently,
mostly thanks to Vincent who's been a superb upstream to work with.

Kind Regards,

Bas