Hi,

There are sometimes strings used in the JOSM source, the presets, or a plugin that are hard to translate. What is the preferred way to discuss the translation of such strings? If the origin in the code should be changed then the JOSM tickets can be used. But what about the translation itself? All you can do in Launchpad is contact the author of the current translation or set the "need review" flag. The flag can be set only if the string is changed, not for existing translations. If I contact the last author then this discussion is invisible for others. A discussion attached to each translation would be good, I think Transifex supports that. Dirk, do you still work on a Trac based system? Will it support translation discussions? To be able to discuss the source string would be good too.

Sometimes I think that there should be more context or that strings are too specific, e.g. acronyms like "OSMIE EDs" (OpenStreetMap Ireland Electoral Districts). Some translators just copy the English string in such a case. I try to find a translation that can be understood more easily. But every time it takes me more than one hour to find a good translation I think the original string should be improved. Or the translation gets too long if all relevant information is added. Is it just me or do other translators have the same issue? Should we change more source strings to improve the translation process? Or is it good as it is?

Holger