Last time we had the problem with StartSSL (because of osm.org switching
their certificate) I tried to reach them and got no reply at all, they seem
to just not care about Java and I don't believe there is something to
expect from them in the future.

At least Let's Encrypt guys were very reactive as they answered my
questions in a matter of minutes. We'll see if they manage to reach the
Oracle truststore in the next weeks/months.