Hello,
I read Bijoy's and Lalmon's emails.  I agree with Bijoy that greed is the
problem.  I also agree that parents want the best for their children and
therefore they are willing to do whatever it takes to give them a better
future.  I also believe that girls and their parents need to take a stronger
stand for the system to change.

Can't enough girls and their parents to decide not proceed with a proposal if
the boy or his family wants to know how much dowry is going to be given?
Can't boys ask their family to not say a word about dowry?

I think something is changing from the story Lalmon is describing.  Girls are
getting more and more educated these days.  We all know that most of the SSLC
rank holders are girls for several years.  Such results are slowly being
shown after SSLC also.  When I was doing my Engineering the number of girls
in the college was definitely much less than half.  But the number of girls
are increasing every year.  The earning capacity of girls are not going to be
much different from that boys for too long.  Most of my classmates and
friends (who are girls) from college are getting married to boys of similar
qualifications.
With Prayers,
Lovely