At work I tried to animate something to grow horizontally then grow
vertically.

.hide().css({height: 5}) // Use a small initial height so the growing can be
seen
   .animate({width: "show"})
   .animate({height: "show"});

The second half of the animation of course does not work because show
only animates a non-shown value to it's natural state.

I do not believe there is a proper way (besides doing ugly manual
calculations and basically duplicating some jQuery internal tricks
outside of jQuery) to smootly animate something to it's natural state.
Perhaps we could use something like a new "natural" option.

.hide().css({height: 5}) // Use a small initial height so the growing can be
seen
   .animate({width: "natural"})
   .animate({height: "natural"});

--
~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire)