Hi Karl,
Boy, these sure are some of the hardest problems to track down.... This is
why I always try to do my comparisons using the format:

if( 'constant' == $variable )

so it gets picked up as an error by the compiler (because of course you
can't assign a variable to a string constant).

Hope this helps you avoid future problems.

Be well,
Tony