On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, Gilles wrote:
<snip>
> By work experience I found that most users that still use IE6
> are companies and their employees, mostly because their IT
> department is inadequate or non-existant which result in
> windows update not even being on automatic or used.

Not allowing automatic OS updaters can be an IT department's
deliberate policy.

> Also
> many employees wish they could upgrade to IE7 or even Firefox
> but like most companies will have policy and permissions set
> in a way where the employee can not install or upgrade
> anything themselves.

You are not considering company Intranets, where there may be many
'web applications' that were written for (and so may only work
properly with) IE 6. If those applications are important to a
company's internal bussiness/opeartions/organisation (and they
probably would not be there if they were not) then there may be very
good practical/financial reasons for that company not wanting its
desktop browsers to suddenly be changed for a potentially incompatible
version. Even the cost of testing all the internal web applications of
a large business with a new browser version could be unwelcome
(especially in an economic downturn), and the cost having them re-
worked/re-written in the event that they do not work would be on top
of that.

The assertion that business are currently tending to stick with IE 6
tallies 100% with my experience.