It's not the point of this thread, but it got me thinking about something.

IE8 doesn't have the same memory problems as IE6 and IE7 does it?

Is anyone interested in pulling all the IE targeted code out of jquery
and checking out how much that speeds everything up for the other
browsers that don't need it?
Most definitely all that extra slow code targeted at memory leaks in IE.

I say this while thinking of people who are working on project that
already use so much HTML5 features that they don't support IE6/7
anyways. And also things like AIR projects where you are guaranteed a
WebKit environment where you AFAIK never need to worry about that extra
stuff.

It would be interesting if we could maintain another build (conditional
comments?) which was targeted at projects which don't support IE
anyways, and environments like AIR where the rendering engine is known
and guaranteed.