@Scott ... good work. The problem was in FF and C also, when doing
toggle(value).
When doing togle(/*no args*/) my IE8 does not toggle at all, while
both FF and C work same as Matt's original.

Please use/observe "my" version which alert's with the outerHTML of
each TR toggled. Each TR toggled has this funny style attribute, which
A) should not be injected as a such and B) confuses the browser.
I think that is the problem ?

PS:
It is interesting that your jsbin version works ok. Is it maybe the !
DOCTYPE ?
My page has not this header that your jsbin version has:
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

--DBJ