Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into this and for pointing
out a possible solution!
Although my statement at the end that "it's working perfectly even in
the latest Firefox version (3.5.5) with the older jQuery-1.2.2
version" seems to contradict this, your comment on the changes in
1.2.2 in fact makes perfect sense, as I wanted to say "even in the
latest Firefox version (3.5.5) with jQuery versions older than 1.2.2"
-- as I had mentioned correctly further up in my post.