Karl,
it is not only "href" that has problems, seems all attributes having
an URI string as value have to be read in the way you described.

Some of them are: action, cite, codebase, data, href, longdesc,
lowsrc, src, usemap.

In IE6/7 elements have a predefined number of attributes (minimum 80,
varies depending on the element).

Further complication comes from the fact that IE6/7 getAttribute does
not always return string when a value is present.

   document.body.getAttribute("onload"); // function
   document.body.getAttribute("style"); // object (not null)

As an example go to "http://www.google.com"; with IE6 and other
browsers and type this in the URL:

    javascript:alert(document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')
[0].getAttribute('style'));

You will have to add ".cssText" in IE6/7 to read a slightly similar
value:

    javascript:alert(document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')
[0].getAttribute('style').cssText);

I don't think all these cases/differences are currently handled and I
don't think they can be handled in a reasonable way.

Diego