> I think one of the core problems is understanding what attr() is
> intended to do. Clearly it is not just a get/setAttribute wrapper.
> Clearly it is not just meant to access the properties of elements. It
> is a mixture of several different ways to access "attributes" of an
> element, and it apparently tries to pick the best approach and give
> the user what they want.

Well, I have to admit that I am not too happy in which direction attr
() is going.
Adding to much magic is not simplifying the API to me.
If we (John) wont an method that can do everything (including
bindings!), than I would prefer it as an separate method ("set()" ?)
leaving rest of API as much as possible consistent and well defined.

Unfortunately, for me, it seams that jQuery API is going to prefer
beginner users with cost of ignoring true potentials (i.e. live()).

I love jQuery, and I hope will still love it in future.