The text search would be surrounded by quotes, whereas searching by an
actual selector would not be in quotes, i.e.
$("div:contains(p)") would find all descendant p elements
$("div:contains('bar')") would find all divs containing the text 'bar'

etc, etc

Though, John makes a good point.  I guess the way I see it is, jQuery
already has a pretty intuitive design, and this sounded right up its alley
to me.

Just my idea.  Obviously, if it doesn't fit the bill, don't go with it.