This is great. I ´m awaiting jQuery 1.4 eagerly. : -).  After I wrote
the script I found two bugs in my script. Didn´t know, that you
already grabbed the code. But you only corrected one of them.

change the following line in the beforeactivate-handler:
return jQuery.data( elem, "_change_data", getVal(elem) );

to something like this:

jQuery.data( elem, "_change_data", getVal(elem) );
//for FF strictmode, if you want (code won´t be ever run in ff):
return undefined;

If you leave it, the other way and the data for a unchecked checkbox
is collected, the event will be prevented, wich breaks keyboard
handling.

+ One other thing:

I would build the new jQuery-Version and make some more tests on this,
using your delegatetest.html. If i find something, should I fill a
bug, add the fix in this post or what is your preferred way?