Good stuff, Dan.  The first thing that jumps to mind is that these
would be nice enhancements to the form plugin.  getValue is very
similar to fieldValue.  I like the logic of your getValue better but I
like the idea of returning the array instead of the string (and let
the caller join it on whatever char they need).

Mike

Anyway, I've got preview of the plug-in up at:
http://www.pengoworks.com/workshop/jquery/field.plugin.htm

My intention is too add some of the functionality that people like about
qForms into this plug-in as time permits.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback on this.