Correct, this was a work around for a pre-1.5 FF issue.  My notes on
it say "see mozilla bug #246651" but I remember thinking that jQuery
was using the same work around as another js library (prototype?) and
that that project had its own bug to get rid of the work around.  I
thought I saw that the work around had finally been removed in more
recent versions of jQuery.  I last patched a 1.0.4 version for local
use at work but I think it was there until 1.1.

There was also another reason for explicitly closing the connection
that Jake Cigar(?) asked for when overriding the mime type of the
request.  I forget his reasons for that right now.

Ian

On 4/10/07, Aaron Heimlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I vaguely remember there being some issue with older versions of Firefox
that this solved, but don't quote me on that.

http://anotherdan.com/2006/6/8/ajax-and-integrated-windows-authenticatio

--
Aaron Heimlich
Web Developer