Thanks to both of you for your advice.  I'm not just wanting to store
if an element is open/closed, I need to be able to do something like
google where I can move objects around and remember where they are and
what their status is (open/closed).  I'm no javascript programmer so
is it possible you can elborate some more with regards to the cookies,
using jquery, setting and reading.  When would be the best time to set
the cookie for the objects.

Many thanks again for your help