Rick,

>Isn't that what you do with this code is your
>ex2.3_mailing_list_validation.cfm example for the
>ex2_process.cfm page?

Since it's obvious that you've downloaded my presentation, I need to point
out that some of the things in the demo are bad concepts, but I did them to
show the progression of how you get from point A to point D.

For example, the ex2.4_mailing_list_ajax.cfm is a horrible idea for
validation. For my presentation though, I wanted to isolate the portion that
should how one could validate against server-side lookups.

The final goal was to get to ex2.5_mailing_list_validation_ajax.cfm. This
template shows using pure client-side validation to validate absolutely
everything you could on the client-side, while using AJAX only when you
couldn't validate w/out looking something up on the server.

It also shows how all the JS code in unobtrusive and the form still works
without JS.

So, whatever you do, you should not use ex2.4_mailing_list_ajax.cfm as a
model for validation--it would be taken out of context and be a very bad
implementation.

For those of you interested in the presentation files, you can download it
here:

http://blog.pengoworks.com/blogger/index.cfm?action=blog:585

-Dan