> That page has no AJAX based validation. I also do no JS detection. The
code
> is set up so that if JS is unavailable, the form just works.

I got that, but the code seems to test for Ajax availability, and if there's
been an
Ajax call, it responds with messages via Ajax.

If the call was not via Ajax, then the validation responses are returned via
template inclusion, rather than refresh, which worked for the purposes of
your demo,
but I'm not sure how that technique would work on a real website.

But if I'm wrong about my explanation above, please explain to me what your
code does:

<!---// if this is an AJAX call, we must return JSON data //--->
<cfif structKeyExists(url, "ajax") and url.ajax>
        <!---// clear all generated data //--->
        <cfcontent type="text/xml" reset="true" />
        <cfoutput>{
                success: #stAction.success#,
                message: "#jsStringFormat(stAction.message)# [AJAX]"
        }</cfoutput>
        <cfexit method="exitTemplate" />

>Isn't that what you do with this code is your
>ex2.3_mailing_list_validation.cfm example for the
>ex2_process.cfm page?

That page has no AJAX based validation. I also do no JS detection. The code
is set up so that if JS is unavailable, the form just works.

-Dan