Josh,

>I am thinking of forking my application in one area where I want to handle
>things very differently depending on if someone has javascript enabled, and
>this is the method I think would work best.
>
>The only possible downside would be if someone disables javascript in the
>middle of their session;  however I think the likelihood of that is pretty
>miniscule.  In this unlikely case, you could use a noscript tag to at least
>notify the user that their Javascript had been unexpectedly disabled, and
>how to rectify it.

Don't forget that any bugs that crop up in your JS can cause your JS not to
run--so while JS is enabled, JS errors could prevent code execution the way
you expect. The likely hood of this happening is increased when your JS is
created dynamically.

This is why, I like unobtrusive JS--because if the code doesn't run for any
reason, it's ok--you're still going to correct the behavior on the server.

-Dan

PS - Obviously there are times when you're trying to implement RIA and the
reliance on JS is nearly absolute to accomplish the task you want to do. I'm
just pointing out that even doing JS detection can be misleading on whether
or not the JS executed.