Example of (how I would) overload a function:

jQuery.extend({
  _trim: jQuery.trim,
  trim: function(s) {
    // do something to s first, then you might want to call original
function
    this._trim.call(this, s);

Though if you're thinking of overloading functions like trim, wouldn't
it be better to extend the String object?

String.prototype.trim = function() {
  return this.toString().replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, "");
};

The example is an unmodified trim from jQuery - but it's the kind of
thing you may want to reuse even when you don't require jQuery.