the name of the program is 'test' in the root directory of the server... it
sets the header to be text/xml...

inside success, response is the xml tree of the response, not much good for
debugging. If the alert returns '' for the result, I guess there is a
problem. in the complete callback, you can check the response.responseXMLand
response.responseText

do you have a live link??
your code looks like it should, assuming it's actually getting the xml
result you expect..