From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jörn
Zaefferer
Sent: 22 May 2007 22:16
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: Validation function help request

Luc,
> Hi Jörn,
> I'd like to use your plugin, and I was up to a point, but the problem
> I'm having is three-fold. I'm sure it can be solved with your plugin,
> and I'd love to know how;
>
> Ideally I'd like an example to get me started - assuming a select dropdown
> (#jobtype) with two options ('a', 'b') hiding/showing two relevant <div>s
> (#div-a #div-b) with a text field in each, what do I need in order for the
> input in #div-b to NOT be required when #div-a is shown, and #div-b is hidden?
>
> I'm sure it's possible, but it's not documented as I need it on your site.

there are two example available that show how to build depdencies (second and
third example jQuery.validator.methods.required):
http://jquery.bassistance.de/api-browser/plugins.html#jQueryvalidatormethodsrequiredStringElementBooleanStringFunction

 From what you describe, this should be enough:

//on input in div-a
{required:'#div-a:visible'}

//on input in div-b
{required:'#div-b:visible'}

Of course you can switch that:

//on input in div-a
{required:'#div-b:hidden'}

//on input in div-b
{required:'#div-a:hidden'}

That's it. Just provide a selector using jQuery's expression capabilites. The
plugin itself adds ':blank' and ':filled' to check for filled or blank fields
(trimming whitespace).

--
Jörn Zaefferer

http://bassistance.de

In2
Thames House
Mere Park
Dedmere Road
Marlow
Bucks
SL7 1PB
Tel 01628 899700
Fax 01628 899701
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
i: www.in2.co.uk

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of
jquery-en@googlegroups.com and may contain information that is confidential,
subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not
jquery-en@googlegroups.com you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message,
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored. Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author [EMAIL PROTECTED] and do not
necessarily represent those of the company.