Print style sheets are a unique beast. For example you can't expect
background (colors or images) to print. Once using JavaScript to
manipulate your page you have to be careful to understand how that is
going to impact your print style sheet. Inline styles will overwrite
styles in the print style sheet. You will need to use the !important
key word on any rules that might be overwritten and with IE you can
always hook into the onbeforeprint and onafterprint events.

In the end you'll realize that you are very, very limited to what you
can do when printing.

You might find this ALA article helpful:
http://alistapart.com/stories/goingtoprint/

--
Brandon Aaron