IE and Safari actually can handle animations very well. Perhaps it is
because they have more access to system resources than the other browsers.
I'm not exactly sure of the whys but IE does tend to handle timers better.
Firefox has some severe issues with timers, especially with lots of them.
I'm not really sure whats up with opera. It is usually very fast with
JavaScript.

--
Brandon Aaron