Hi Robert,
Sorry for the delayed reply but your post gave me a good starting
point - this is how I did it in the end:

$(document).ready(function() {
        $("#pagelist").Sortable({
                accept:   "dragtag",
                axis:     "vertically",
                onchange: function() {
                        theIds = "";
                        $("#pagelist li").each(function() {
                                theIds += $(this).attr("id").replace("page","")
+ ",";
                        });
                        alert(theIds);

Thanks!