Some Plugin site examples:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/  (If only we knew someone who
works there)
http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins
http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/
http://themes.wordpress.net/

One thing that I notice reading the thread, is this feeling that the jQuery
core team should administer official plugins.  Although I definitely see the
value in this, I also think the "wisdom of crowds" can be leveraged.  Seeing
stats about Who uses a plugin, how they rate it, how many downloads etc.
It makes the community more self-serving, rather than command-control.

Think Netflix model or Amazon model.

I do think think this discussion is critical.  The difference between wide
adoption and boutique adoption have alot to do with these decisions.

Glen