Gordon wrote:
Is there a way I can get the #selector style syntax to work on XML
files?

I don't think so.  From the CSS specs [1]:

    Note. In XML 1.0 [XML10], the information about which attribute
    contains an element's IDs is contained in a DTD. When parsing XML,
    UAs do not always read the DTD, and thus may not know what the ID of
    an element is. If a style sheet designer knows or suspects that this
    will be the case, he should use normal attribute selectors instead:
    [name=p371] instead of #p371. However, the cascading order of normal
    attribute selectors is different from ID selectors. It may be
    necessary to add an "!important" priority to the declarations:
    [name=p371] {color: red ! important}. Of course, elements in XML 1.0
    documents without a DTD do not have IDs at all.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that even if you supplied a DTD reference in your XML document, most browsers wouldn't find it. Perhaps if your DTD was internal...? Sorry. :-(

  -- Scott

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#id-selectors