I develop for embedded C/C++ as well as Web, and don't use an IDE for
either.
I haven't found a One True Editor which does exactly what I want, and seem
to alternate between Notepad++ and Programmer's Notepad every few months.
UltraEdit was a particular favourite many moons ago but haven't used it in
some years now.

E-TextEditor looked good until I realised the 'fully functional' demo breaks
after 30 days...for the same reason as I don't use UE anymore, I wouldn't
use that. It looks damn good (particularly Cygwin integration), but I don't
want to try the demo in case I really like it :-(

--rob