Erik,

I think I can clarify this. Interface is an official plugin and a big part of the jQuery project. Both Stefan & Paul, the authors and maintainers of Interface, are members of the jQuery project team whose primary task is to work on effects.

The relationship is more like Prototype/Scriptaculous than YUI/Ext. There are no plans to directly embed something like Interface into the core jQuery library because we want to maintain a small compact framework for working with JS, DOM & Ajax. We prefer to keep them apart so the community can choose what's appropriate for their project.

As for hosting, Interface's code is actually hosted on the jQuery SVN.

Rey...

Erik Beeson wrote:

While it's arguing a bit of a technicality, I maintain that Interface
is not part of the core development of jQuery, and that it's still
very much an addon, not a true first class citizen like in Ext/YUI.
From http://docs.jquery.com/About/Contributors

"Interface has been adopted as an officially-sponsored jQuery plugin"

While Interface is made by jQuery developers, it's still just a
plugin, and isn't even hosted on (or even specially promoted much on)
the main jquery.com site.

Even so, Interface is not Ext/YUI, and it probably never will be
(which I like about it, btw). I think Interface falls about in the
middle between vanilla jQuery and a heavier widget driven library.

--Erik

On 6/27/07, Ganeshji Marwaha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>While some people have used it to build
>some desktop application type widgets, I don't think that is really
>the primary focus of the core development team.

Is "interface" not part of core development team?

- GTG

On 6/27/07, Erik Beeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you're looking for really fancy Desktop Application type controls,
> jQuery probably isn't the right library for you. jQuery is awesome at
> being a really small, blazing fast library that adds just the right
> amount of features to the javascript language that it actually makes
> javascript development fun(tm). It's like javascript++, and it's
> really good at what it does. While some people have used it to build
> some desktop application type widgets, I don't think that is really
> the primary focus of the core development team.
>
> However, jQuery does play along just fine with the other "heavyweight"
> frameworks/libraries that you mentioned. There's even some sort of
> thing for integrating jQuery with Ext I believe. So there's no reason
> that you couldn't use the YUI or Ext components if you wanted to.
>
> That's not to discourage developers from building widgets with jQuery.
> I use jqModal, jEditable, and parts of Interface all the time and I'm
> very glad to not have to load up a big library like YUI to get those
> features. I'm just saying, use the tool that is appropriate for your
> needs :)
>
> --Erik
>

> On 6/26/07, John Farrar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > The intention of this post is to spark a plug-in dream list.
> >
> > Here's mine...
> >
> > 1. Tree (like the one in EXTjs)
> > 2. Grid (like the one in EXTjs)
> > ... if your wondering, I want to do server side markup, and modify only
> > when needed. :)
> > 3. Windows component. (Popup divs rather than windows that are select
> > box safe of course)
> > 4. Dialogs (msgBox, inputBox, etc.)... modal ready  of course.
> > 5. slider input (feeds a hidden form field of course) with dual sliders
> > range points of course
> > 6. color requestor
> > 7. date/time requestor
> > 8. drag/drop tile/list components with common drag data interface for
> > clean interaction
> > 9. Menus
> > 10. toolbar (sorry, not sold on the ribbon as good web senario yet...
heh.)

--
BrightLight Development, LLC.
954-775-1111 (o)