I have shared this at speaking engagements on other topics over the years. When windows and mac took the Xerox window technology and created the replacement for "DOS" as it was known there was a reason it worked. Along the same time there was also a core group of "assembly" programmers that thought everything should be done in the lowest fastest level possible.

Thoughts from a developer who has seen many generations of technology mature.

  1. The interface belongs to the user, and that is who we write our
     apps for primarily. If we can make it easier for the developer to
     create and maintain these apps the true purpose of the app will be
     achieved. (The true purpose is user interaction, not enterprise.
     Enterprise is a concern, not the primary goal. Therefore we cannot
     or at least should not replace our primary  goals with necessary
     secondary concerns.)
  2. Apple, Amiga, Atari (lol, just realized those were all companies
     with A names) had machines with better functionality than Windows
     PCs. They were missing essential business solutions that Microsoft
     provided. It is true that we as developers want certain
     "essentials". Yet, the applications are written for  users.
     Perhaps we ought to look at things like Adobe AIR and how that
     relates to jQuery. With AIR you write the app once and deploy it
     to Linux, Mac or Windows as a desktop application. This would
     eliminate the need for large bandwidth issues. It's the next wave
     of internet connected applications. If it's enterprise then it's
     not random customers hitting the site. Installing a package in
     technology like AIR is the enterprise solution of the future.
  3. As someone else said, plugins aren't part of the core. So if
     jQuery adds plugins that are cool that is great. My concept is not
     to create heavy but moderate plugins that work with back end coded
     pages. I agree that EXT could be to heavy in many cases. So rather
     than looking at extreme all or nothing solutions perhaps there
     should be some middle of the road solutions also.
  4. Not all business applications are "enterprise" apps. Some times
     there are business apps where they  have let someone in IT or
     someone who is a web designer and wants to try something in the
     programmer side of things take on a project. It would be a shame
     if jQuery provided everything they needed to end the promise of
     doing more work like that in the company. That is where EXT
     shines. The boss will love what he gets for an end product. We
     need to be careful that we realize not everyone can do an
     "original work". Learning dom to do a good job for the first
     project it is needed is a bad idea.

   * Apps are for users, the interface is key
   * Enterprise is a concern, but not to the exclusion of the primary
     goals (scale shouldn't replace primary goals)
   * AIR or some other technology is the right way to do enterprise,
     resolves majority of scale issues
   * Not all business is enterprise. We need solutions that help
     business on the SOHO level also. In fact we brag about when we are
     used by an enterprise. Yet, every one of these technologies
     started in a non-scale solution. (Or at least became popular
     without a scale solution.) AND... the majority of users will be a
     non-scale solution on the level of a mega enterprise that is.
   * AND... yes, the still need to serve the enterprise. (Before
     someone missed that I still agree with that point.)