Thanks for looking into this, I'm really impressed with the work
that's been done on the basis of a wild speculation I had while trying
to think up ways of making the animation of lots of items
smoother. :)

Regarding the CSS cascade problem, would making any custom rules
jQuery creates !important help?

As for Internet Explorer's hasLayout problem, has anyone tried the
filter zoom trick with it yet?  What was the animation performance
like in that case?