The use of the "this" keyword is always a bit tricky to wrap your head
around, but these two posts helped me to understand things at a
fundamental level:

"this" in general javascript :
    http://www.quirksmode.org/js/this.html
and a bit more jQuery specific:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/d670a83c308961d3/92e29565dff28d32

Somebody might be inclined to write this up for the tutorial part too.

Regards
Angelo