Ok, nevermind, hold off.  When I got some of the other issues fixed
and turned back to this, I did change:

<script language="text/javascript">

<script type="text/javascript">

and then your autocompleter started working.  This is still so
strange, because Dan's worked with <script language="JavaScript"> but
then just started throwing an error until I changed to <script
language="text/javascript"> (which fixed the same error in your
version) and then your version would not do anything until I switched
to <script type="text/javascript">.  I'm still at a loss why the code
had been working with the original script tag and then just stopped
working, but at least it's working now.  Now I have to figure out how
to process in data being passed back to me.  Thanks again for your
help.