Thats funny... and it is very satisfying to know that many of us face
similar problems on a daily basis :-)

-GTG

On 7/18/07, Michael Geary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > When I was working at Adobe several years ago, we had a bug
> > report that none of us could reproduce or figure out.
> >
> > The bug said that an unrelated window from another application
> > would pop to the front when a dialog in our app was closed.
> >
> > There actually is a similar problem that Windows apps can run into
> > if they close dialogs in the wrong way. But I knew we weren't
> > doing that, and we couldn't repro the bug at all.
> >
> > Finally we had the QA engineer who'd reported the bug demo it
> > for us. He clicked the OK button in the dialog, and sure enough,
> > some other app popped to the front - on his machine. Something
> > weird about his Windows configuration?
> >
> > We had him show us the bug a few times, and finally the light dawned.
> >
> > Can you guess what he was doing, and what went wrong? :-)

> i guess, his windows config was set to double click when a single-click
> is executed.... and since the dialog closes on the first click, the page
> underneath gets the second click which probably opens up a popup..
> Just a theory... :-)

That's a good theory, Ganeshji, but it didn't depend on his Windows
configuration at all. (There
isn't actually any such Windows configuration option - you're probably
thinking of the single-click
option in Windows Explorer, but that doesn't change the way clicks work
globally in the system, it
just changes the way Explorer interprets a single click.)

This particular app had a small main window and a large options dialog. He
was double-clicking the
OK button! The first click dismissed the dialog, and the second click
landed on some other window,
bringing it to the top.

-Mike

(With apologies to anyone who is tired of the off-topic diversion... Back
to jQuery now...)