Traunic

how does raw image data get you anything?  Seems you want the data and
the image URL via XHR and then dynamically insert your DOM bits (img
tag w/ URL from response with some sort of wrapper containing your
legend)...  I mean, what you are talking about is technically doable
(not in all browsers) http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2003/10/18/embedding
but I am not sure it gets you anything.

No, you haven't read my post carefully enough. I don't want the image's URL
because the image *doesn't have* a URL - it's generated by a server-side
script.
Because I can't retrieve raw image data and legend data in the same request,
this now necessitates 2 requests, both of which have common functionality.
This to me seems a little odd that two aspects of the same set of
information have to be retrieved separately, but then Web development can be
like that sometimes ;-)

and make sure to check out the link to
http://neil.fraser.name/software/img2html/
because that is just sick!  Taking your idea to the next demented
level

Absolutely, I've seen that before, hence I was pretty sure this couldn't be
done. What a horrific 'solution'! Although I'm not sure what you think is
demented about the idea generically (disgusting 1x1 celled tables aside I
mean) - many people have a need of embedding raw image data directly into a
Web page, exemplified by the first post mentioning people who are willing to
pay money for Web archives - MHTs - to be implemented in Mozilla. Email
clients support these archives by using the multipart MIME types. So why not
Web browsers?

Anyway, as I thought it seems there's no cross-platform mechanism for
achieving this, so it's down to making sure 2 similar requests don't
unnecessarily repeat redundant code.

Thanks for your input on this everyone :-)
--rob

On 7/24/07, Christof Donat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

> I have a server-side script which generates a graph image given a set of
> dataset identifiers. Additional datasets are implicitly added
server-side
> too.
> Currently the image contains the legend, but I'd like to generate the
> legend in HTML as it'll be more consistent with legends used for tables.
> The legend contents cannot be determined until partway through graph
> generation - so I'd like to retrieve both raw image data and legend data
> via AJAX, build the legend's HTML representation and display the image.

I guess you are lokking for something like <canvas>. Firefox and Safari do
support it. I am not shure about Opera, but IE and Konqueror don't. For IE
there is at least IECanvas (http://sourceforge.net/projects/iecanvas),
which
might be of use.

You can use JavaScript to put an Image on a canvas and you also have
drawing
primitives to add Information.

Christof

--