You could use a  http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_timing.asp setTimeout  to
delay the box from showing.

I have had to deal with the same issue of my wait box 'flashing' for quick
page loads, but instead of using setTimeout, I fade the box out.  The fade
always takes some time, so even on the quickest page the loading box shows
up long enough to not be annoying, plus it has a nice fadeout effect

$('#wait').fadeOut();