Hi Luke,

As you might already know, you can insert Flash, Quicktime, etc. into
a Thickbox today just by using other good plugins such as jMedia. You
would just point Thickbox to a page that used jMedia (or similar)
plugin to show the media.  A PDF file is probably even easier since
you just point an <iframe> src  directly to the PDF file and let the
browser do the work.

The challenge (as I recall) is that Thickbox's inbuilt Next/Previous
functionality is currently only employed when it is pointed directly
at image files. So, you can obviously put whatever you want inside a
Thickbox, but the Next/Previous links currently only display for image
files. But there is hope!

A while back, I hacked an old version of the Thickbox script to show a
more complex (formatted) caption in the Thickbox for each photo. The
below site has no Thickbox animation, and there is no jMedia code
inside any Thickbox panel, but there is a simple AJAX call added to my
modified Thickbox plugin that slurps a formatted photo caption into a
scrolling <div> below each photo when it loads.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/twww/

At the above link, jMedia is used on the "Introduction" pane of the
Accordion to present a Flash video. But you have to go to the other
Accordion panels and click on the photo thumbnails to launch the
Thickbox(es).

As an additional example, this site also allows the end user to get a
clean printout of each image and its caption directly from the
Thickbox in a (hopefully) intuitive way. It does this by creating a
"Print Image" button above each photo. A hidden <iframe> is created
when the user clicks the "Print Image" button. This hidden <iframe> is
directed to load a page containing only the image and its caption, and
a call to print() prompts the user to print as normal. This approach
was (much) easier (for me) than trying to manipulate the existing
elements on the page with CSS to create a sane printout via "File >
Print". (Using "File > Print" with a Thickbox showing is not usually
intuitive for the average user because the browser will (correctly)
print the entire page...everything behind the Thickbox too!).

Anyway, that printing functionality is just another example of putting
"something extra" inside a Thickbox that points to image files and
therefore retains its automatic "Next/Previous" linkage (no animations
though).

I'm really looking forward to Thickbox Reloaded as well!  Thanks a lot
for the SVN links!

Cheers!
-THEO-

P.S. I hope your back feels better soon Klaus. All hail Lord
Ibuprofen! :)