there are several ways you can solve this problem... Let me try and guide u
through a couple

1. There is a plugin called hover
intent<http://cherne.net/brian/resources/jquery.hoverIntent.html>.
The primary purpose of this plugin is to stop these kind of actions on
unintentional hovers.
So, you can allow the user to move the mouse over ur link, and when it is
clear that the users intention is to actually use the link, the hover event
is fired. This can solve your problem although, this might not be what you
are looking for.

2. You can unbind the mouseover event when the animation starts and in the
animation end callback you can bind the handler again. Same can be done for
mouse out as well. This way if the user mouseovers the link, the unbind
event happens and the animation starts. During this time if the user hovers
over it again and again, your handler wont be called because you have
unbound it already. Once the animation is done, attach the handler again.

-GTG