I'll follow up here as well:

To write a class how you like, you could do it like this:

function ajax_request(options){
 // initialize
 this.setOptions( options );
}

ajax_request.prototype = {
 // members and properties
 setOptions: function(options){
   this.options = options;
 }
};

That's the full source code - no extra library or framework required.
I've never understood the fascination with have libraries to take care
of this task for you, when it's so simple to do otherwise.

--John