I think this is a very stimulating topic - the responses have given me
a lot of insights to the frameworks of which jQuery belongs.

I see there are some big issues here that kind of scare me, the one
that stood out to me is the claim that jQurey is not for beginners who
don't know the DOM, CSS and JS.

I would contend that it is precisely the beginner that jQuery appeals
to.

Using myself as a test case - I came in knowing a little bit about JS,
a bit more about CSS and pretty much nothing about DOM..

I had tried to use JS and CSS to do some fancy interface work and
really got stuck in the complexities of JS. Then I found JQ and the
world rocked for me. Suddenly I could do amazing things with my GUIs.
Sure I had holes in my knowledge bank, and its shown in this mailing
list, but I think you will admit this is a pretty impressive interface
for a beginner to make:

http://www.whatbird.com/wwwroot/Components/Complete_Search_Tab.html

I have tons to learn but what a great and fun way to get started!

I do think there is one hole in the JQ web site and that is there are
not enough real life examples.

To that end I am putting together jQuery Cheat Sheet (TM) (C) How To.

I plan to make this available for everyone to contibute to. These two
How Tos are examples of the format I am proposing to begin with. If
anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them. If you have some
suggestions for How Tos let me know and I will try and create them. I
was thinking of making this into some kind of wiki like system where
it would allow poeple to create How Tos that ended up in this standard
format when formatted.

http://www.whatbird.com/wwwroot/Components/jQuery_How_Do_I_not.html

http://www.whatbird.com/wwwroot/Components/jQuery_How_Do_I_attr.html

The JQ web site and other sites do a great job on explaining the API
(even if most of the examples dont show up correclty in IE7) - whats
missing is the practical side of the package. Real world non verbose
examples of how to use the important features presented in a non
trival but lucid manner, with the key concepts listed for indexing as
well as the discussion is key to these working.

Mitch